Sunday, May 20, 2007

Spring Cleaning for the Site

Last night I finally got fed up with how bloated and slow Firefox had become as a browser. Remember the early days of Firefox? It was like a breath of fresh air compared to Netscape and Internet Explorer. Light, fast, simple. Ahh, those were the days- a mere 3 years ago, fer cryin’ out loud.

Anyhow, I was looking around for a faster, less bloated feeling browser. So I tried a few different flavors. I found something though- my site looked like poo on a platter in more than a few different browsers. Of course I knew why- when I updated the style of the site last year I wasn’t too up on CSS and PHP and all that jazz. So I hacked and sawed and filed the edges, taped, glued and nailed some pieces into place and voila! I had a new, nice looking site held together by the webpage equivalent of duct tape & bailing wire. Ahem.

So after finding my new browser to mess with (I’m going with Opera, in case you were wondering. I’m liking it a lot so far) I decided to get a new template for the site/blog that was a lot more compliant, flexible, easier to maintain and update, blah, blah, blah. I went with Mandigo and just tweaked a few things here and there- certainly far fewer tweaks were necessary this time because this new theme supports sidebar widgets for ye olde’ blog.

Another nice thing is the theme handles some nice features internally, which allowed me to turn off a few plug ins that I was running. So we should see an overall speed boost as well. The site was a bit too pokey to load before, for sure. This will be much easier for me to maintain moving forward. And it will look better across the browser spectrum. I just need to twiddle with the color of the text a bit- it’s a little too electric for me right now, but that should be an easy fix.

Not that anybody cares, but I feel better about it.

No comments: